What to Know About Ostomy Products
Many people with significant bowel or bladder conditions, such as diverticulitis, Crohn's disease, or bladder cancer, require ostomy systems to remove waste from their bodies. If you are taking care of a loved one with an ostomy bag, we offer the supplies you need to keep their ostomy systems clean and your loved one comfortable.
- Wipes: These are used to clean your skin around the stoma.
- Adhesive Removers: Ideal for removing ostomy faceplate adhesive bandages as well as acrylic and hydrocolloid based adhesives. Available in sprays, wipes, or pads.
- Bags & Stoma Pouches: These collect waste from your stoma and can be disposable or reusable.
- Ostomy & Stoma Creams & Pastes: Creams and powders help to keep the skin around your stoma healthy, while adhesive pastes secure the ostomy bag to your skin.
- Ostomy Barriers: Creates a secure seal between the stoma and the ostomy appliance. Helps protect the stoma from contaminants and keep the area around the stoma clean.
- Ostomy Support Belt: Helps to secure your ostomy bag in place.
- Underpads: These absorbent pads are placed under an ostomy bag to protect the skin, clothing, bedding, and furniture from leakage. Used in conjunction with a stoma powder or cream to help keep the area dry and free from irritation.
What is an ostomy bag used for?
An ostomy bag is a medical device that is attached to the body to collect waste from a stoma. A stoma is an opening in the body that is created during surgery. The ostomy bag attaches to the body around the stoma and collects waste that would otherwise be released through the stoma. It is emptied when full.
What is the purpose of stoma paste?
The paste facilitates a seal that helps prevent the stoma output from getting under the skin barrier and making contact with the patient’s skin as well as prevents leakage.
How long do you wear an ostomy bag?
It depends on the individual and the type of ostomy they have. Some people may need to wear their ostomy bag for a few days, while others may need to wear it for months or even years.
What is an ostomy barrier?
An ostomy barrier is a device that is used to create a seal around the stoma, or opening, in order to protect the skin and prevent ostomy output from coming into contact with the skin. Ostomy barriers are typically made from a soft, pliable material, such as silicone, and are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to accommodate different types of stomas. Ostomy barriers can be attached to the skin with adhesive tape or a belt, and are typically replaced every few days.