Posted by Brianna Maguire on Nov 13th 2020
Need light incontinence protection but not quite ready for a pull-up or diaper with tabs? Men's guards are the perfect solution for light incontinence protection, designed specifically for men. Shaped to fit male anatomy, these form-fitting incontinence products keep you dry, confident, and leak-free.
Whether you're struggling with urinary incontinence, bladder control, or post-prostate surgery issues, men's guards can protect your clothing and prevent any leaks. Comfortable and non-bulky, these are worn inside existing underwear to give you a little boost of protection.
What are male guards?
Many men don’t even realize that male incontinence products are an option, but male incontinence pads called “male guards” offer an absorbent solution for bladder leakage. Shaped to fit over male anatomy, these stick inside of underwear and absorb moisture. For men that are uncomfortable wearing pull-ups and diapers, these offer an odor-free, comfortable, and very discreet option.
Who should use male guards?
Men’s guards are ideal for men who:
- Experience "dribbling"
- Have light to moderate urinary incontinence
- Are recovering from surgery or have prostate concerns
- Are relatively active and mobile
- Want more breathability than pull-ups or tab-style diapers provide
Who shouldn't use them?
Men’s guards are not a good choice for:
- Those with heavy incontinence concerns, or those with bowel incontinence
- Those looking for protection that covers their belly and back
How do they work?
Since male guards are cupped around the penis, urinary incontinence is trapped as soon as it happens. Tiny absorbent beads called polymers soak up all the moisture, turn it into a gel, and pull it away from skin, so your skin and clothes stay dry. Since the guard only covers part of the skin, you can experience freedom from the skin irritation that protective underwear or diapers with tabs can sometimes cause.
How to put on a male guard
- Remove the adhesive strip on the back
- Secure the guard to your underwear, with the wide part in the front
- If you’re a side sleeper or the penis tends to angle one way or another, you can place the guard wherever you seem to need the most protection
What features exist?
Range of Thickness
Men’s guards come in different thicknesses and absorbencies. Typically, the bulkier the pad is, the more absorbent it will be. If you need a higher absorbency, go for a bulkier guard.
If you’re looking for a more discreet option, go with a thinner guard. Keep in mind, however, that men’s guards are some of our most discreet options, so you can feel confident no matter where you go.
All of our men’s guards feature an adhesive backing that attaches to underwear. Because these are attached to underwear and cupped around the penis, male guards move with you, so you don’t have to worry about them slipping off.
Some male guards feature inner leg cuffs, also called “leg gathers” or “leg guards.” These are strips of fabric that run along the guard and ensures that incontinence stays in the pad.
How do I choose?
- Decide which features are the most important for your unique needs
- Figure out which absorbency you need. For occasional leaks, go for a lighter absorbency. For heavier accidents, you’ll need a higher absorbency.
- Need more help? Call our friendly Care Team at 855-855-1666 or email us at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to guide you.
Some of our favorite male guards are:
Abena Abri Man Premium, Heavy Absorbency
Prevail Male Guards, Maximum
If you're a side-sleeper that typically wears pull-ups or a pant-liner, using a male guard could help stop leaks! Since they offer more targeted protection, you don't have to worry about slipping out.